Gunslinger Rap

Road Warriors, Animal and Hawk

Beer In the Dressing Room???

After going through a sixpack, Terry reached into his wrestling bag and pulled out a sheet-rock knife. I had no idea what to expect as he turned it in his hand first, then flipped it in the air and caught it. In an instant he was out of the dugout and racing for the 30 foot tall rubber balloon made in the image of a huge Miller Light can of beer. The huge $5,000.00 Miller Light balloon was anchored at third base position, Hiram Bithorn Baseball Stadium, San Juan Puerto Rico. He caught everybody by surprise, the wrestlers, security guards, 15,000 Puerto Rican wrestling fans, Marti, myself, and especially the sponsors of the wrestling matches, Miller Light. We were all aghast as he attacked the big beer can, running around it stabbing at the base with the sheet-rock knife. In just seconds, the Miller Light Balloon collapsed into a heap of useless rubber near the third base bag.

San Juan Puerto Rico was a great place to work. Marti and I have traveled there many times together. We would stay at the Holiday Inn on the Condado. (Most popular resort beach in San Juan) Daytime was spent on the beach and in the afternoon we would walk to the La Tasca Restaurant just beside the Caribe Hilton hotel and have the most delicious sea food in world. (Whole baked red snapper was my favorite) Shopping in the Condado was the best in the Caribbean with gorgeous jewelry and imported goods from around the world. For the better part of ten years, San Juan was one of my favorite places to work.

Tonight was the biggest show of the year, December 21st., 1985 The main event was Carlos Colon against Abdulla the Butcher along with Terry and Myself against the Road Warriors. ten matches in all were on the card including such stars as Bruiser Brody, Invader, Miquel Perez, Hercules Ayala, Chris and Mark Youngblood, Victor Jovika and Bobby Jaggars.

Capitol Sports Promotion had even secured the sponsorship of Miller Light for the big show. As a courtesy to the wrestlers, Miller Light had furnished both dressing rooms with unlimited beer. As we arrived at the stadium I noticed Terry sipping on a Miller Light and knew it would be a long night as we were on next to last of ten matches.

In order to add additional ringside side seats with a good view, the ring was set up atop a five foot platform. There were steps up to the platform, and then you stepped into the ring. This platform protruded to the front and side of the ring. (another beer for Terry)

Promoters like heat. They want the fans to be able to choose who to cheer for and who to boo and hiss at. At times my brother can take things a little far with the heat. (another beer for Terry) Fans in Puerto Rico are sometimes prone to throw things at the wrestlers. Well this night Terry would dart out of the dugout armed with hamburgers, empty beer cans and trash to throw at the fans. (another beer for Terry) Then he picked up some of the pea gravel in front of the dugout and threw that at the fans. From that time on any wrestler going to the ring was showered with crap thrown from the bleachers. (another beer for Terry)

As if that wasn't enough, (as Terry finished another beer) he goosed one of the female security guards in the ass as she came a little to close. When she turned to scold him, he did the old screw in the headlights trick with his hands three inches in front of her well developed chest. Then he curssed the other security personnel. Now not only did we have fifteen thousand Puerto Rican wrestling fans pissed off at us but as we were ready to go into the ring, the security walked out. (and he had another beer)

Marti asked, "Is there anything you can do to control him?" "I haven't been able to control him since he was four years old looking for Santa with a pipe in his hand so he could beat Santa up and take all his toys." There was nothing I could do to cool my brother off. He was a raving terror. I knew it was going to be tough getting from the dugout to the ring for our match against the Road Warriors. (as Terry got another beer)

"Okay, first main event, let's go." I could hear the call to make our way down the hallway through the dugout and into the ring for the match. The first trick, don't let the fans know exactly when you are going to come out of the dugout. Try to fake them out and quickly get twenty feet out onto the field so you have a chance to dodge all the crap they are going to throw at you. On this night it was particularly tough getting to the ring. No security, but some of the wrestlers were there to help.

Terry and I hit the ring first to the boos and jeers of the partisan crowd. Next came the music and the Road Warriors to the roar of approval from fifteen thousand people who wanted to see us torn to bits and pieces. As the Road Warriors stormed into the ring with their spiked shoulder pads, Terry scooted out of the ring on the far side. He had failed to check out the ring and didn't realize there was no platform on the back side and it was ten feet to the ground.

Terry climbed up to the apron of the ring and said, "Junior, I hurt my back, you are going to have to work this whole match." Well, here I am with two fired up Road Warriors, fifteen thousand angry Puerto Ricans, a pissed off sponsor, a pissed off promoter, no security, and a worthless pile of rubber over at third base.

The bell rang and I wrestled Hawk and Animal by myself for the next thirty minutes.

Two days later Marti and I were sipping a morning cup of coffee at our home, then located in Charlotte, North Carolina. The telephone rang. Marti answered. It was Terry's wife, Vicki. "Poor Terry hurt his back in Puerto Rico. He said he had to do all the wrestling for Dory. He is so tired from doing all the work ------------------------."


E-Mail Dory Funk

Back to Dory's Home Page

All pages and material Copyright © 1997 Dory Funk Jr. All Rights Reserved.